I teased this sweet treat a few weeks ago on Instagram and on Twitter. In the second installment of “Y’all Come Eat” we’re fixing up a batch of Mama’s Specials. Mama Mona and I snacked on these after we made our lasagnas.
This dish is really hard to describe and the photos do NOT do it justice…do not buy generic marshmallows! It’s just one of those things that you’re going to have to trust me and actually try it for yourself. It is a salty sweet after school kind of snack that you should never had more than 3 of…unless you’re a fan of your dentist.
My mom’s been making this snack for as long as I can remember and her mom made it for her. This dish is so synonymous with my grandmother that we made this on the night following her viewing. As everyone was sitting around telling stories and looking at pictures Mama’s Specials kept coming up so my Aunt Lisa and I made up a batch. God bless Mama Mona for always having the necessary ingredients on hand. There were plenty of people in the room that had never tried them so this was a fun experience. They all politely tried them but I don’t think it went over very well. Maybe it’s something you’ve had to grow up eating…you guys can let me know if you’ve tried them and what your thoughts are!
- Saltine crackers
- American Cheese (I prefer Kraft singles…I know that it’s not even really cheese)
- Marshmallows (NOT GENERIC)
- Preheat oven to 375
- Lay Saltines on a cookie sheet, salt side up
- Tear the slice of cheese into quarters
- Lay cheese on top of Saltines
- Place marshmallow on top of cheese
- Bake for about 5-7 minutes depending on how “done” you like your marshmallow
- If you really like a well done marshmallow, broil for about 60-90 seconds